The requirement of a global navigation system was recognized during the Second World War. Hence, the invention of GPS System (Global Positioning System) had taken place in the year, 1973. The USDOD (United States Department of Defense) had great contributions in this invention. However, in 1994, it became fully accessible for the public.
Within few years, other super powers had also started developing their own GPS systems like the Russian Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS), the European Union Galileo Positioning System, Compass Navigation System of China and Regional Navigational Satellite System of India.
The following points would highlight the advantages of this worldwide navigating system.
- It regularly gives weather updates especially during your outdoor activities.
- It plays a major role in surveying the unfavorable features of land. These features range from volcanic eruptions, high falls, trenches, floating icebergs, hot springs to plate movements of Earth. These detailed surveys are very much required for the construction purposes of transport, building, communication and drawing boundaries for property ownership.
- GPS system fitted in your car can prove to be highly beneficial in times of traffic jams. They provide a proper direction to avoid these jams thus saving a lot of your precious time. It can even save your car from theft. These navigators with the help of satellites give the correct location of your lost car and inform the required authorities about it. Therefore, weather forecast and positioning maps make one feel comfortable during on road journeys.
- Tracking down the movements of children has become lot easier for their parents with GPS machines. They not only give the information of their tracks but also about the other hideouts. Even the lost pets can come back to their masters with this positioning system.
- The size can be as small as a button or the dial of a watch. Hence, portability is no more a barrier for your tracking exercise.
- You can also keep an eye on the truck movements carrying your goods. It adds a safety quotient to your business.
- It also seems to be quite good in predicting the damages or problems in various structures thus preventing forth-coming disasters.
- Fleet tracking is a lot easier now days with the GPS systems. It helps to retain the identification details of these vehicles. It saves a lot of time for journey plans during the fleet movements.
Definitely, GPS system comes with a lot of disadvantages. These are:
- The purchase of a GPS system may make you think again about its advantages.
- The facilities of this system can be availed only in clear weathers. Tall buildings might lead to its inaccessibility.
- All the versions of this system might not direct you turn by turn.
- Updated versions of the GPS maps might not provide all the information about the new roads or the restructured paths.
- Since it is not plugged to a power source so they wholly depends on the life of batteries.
So being an alert citizen, you should always be aware of its advantages and disadvantages!